By Jackawa Jackson | April 24, 2010
At 12:18 this afternoon, Long Beach firefighters were called to 6733 Monlaco Road to a report of a tree trimmer who had been electrocuted and was still in contact with the power lines. When Engine 18 arrived on scene they found a man, who appeared to be in his 20’s, approximately 15 feet up in a cluster of trees. His tree trimming tool had come in contact with high voltage power lines welding it to the power lines and knocking him unconscious. The situation was made even more perilous for the patient and firefighters due to the fact that the trees were positioned between two swimming pools with only a matter of feet to maneuver equipment on either side. California Edison was immediately contacted in an effort to shut down the power feeding the involved power poles. Prior to shut down of power, which took roughly 20 minutes, the patient regained consciousness several times and was shocked between 4-6 times. Firefighters had the patient out of the tree within 30 minutes. The male patient was transported to a local hospital conscious but in critical condition. Fortunately no other citizens or firefighters were injured during this incident. Responding units included: Engine 18, Light Force 19, Rescue 17, Battalion 2, and the Long Beach Urban Search and Rescue Team.
Comments are closed.